Lovin' my kids!

My life as head of the Looney Bin!

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

He's outta here...

Well, my bil, Jeff, ships out for Iraq today. He is stationed in San Diego. I can't imagine how that must feel for his wife and kids. Please pray for his safety and quick return.

My papaw had a stroke this morning. He seems to be okay except his speech has been mildly affected. He's being admitted to the hospital. I guess he'll be there a couple of days.

My papaw is one of those "rock" kind of people. I have never met anybody so totally devoted to the Lord. He spends the majority of his days reading his Bible, praying, and listening to preaching programs on the radio. Everytime I go up there, he always says, "Jill, are you saved?" I say, "yes, Papaw, I'm saved" and he says, "Just checking". I remember when I was a kid, being up there before school and he would be up getting ready to go to work. He would have every radio in the house tuned in to J. Vernon McGee. Bro. McGee has been dead for years, but he's still on the radio and everytime I hear him it takes me directly back to my childhood. My papaw is a BIG dude...over six feet tall. I remember when he would drink his coffee (this was in the days of percolators...yep, I'm gettin' old) he would pour it out into a saucer and drink it. I used to be REALLY skinny when I was a kid (I KNOW that's hard to believe), and he always called me "wire legs". I love my papaw SO much...I even named my sweet Georgia after him. Here's a pic of him and Levi at Christmas...

I got a sweet message from a girl that I used to go to church with, and I must say...it was perfect timing. Here's what she had to say (regarding Andy and me working in children's church)..."I still remember all the candy rains and of course my favorite times were when you guys would bring your dalmation. Your ministry with children really molded my life at a young age. "

Okay, so I've been feeling REALLY down about this autopsy thing. Why? I don't know. We didn't do anything wrong (unless loving a child totally and completely is wrong) so why should I worry??? The Lord has given us these children and we feel this is our calling, is to love them, care for them, and minister not only to them, but also to their birthmother and her family. So, again, why should I worry??? Is the Lord going to let our entire calling be destroyed by something like this??? I DON'T THINK SO!!! The kicker was "your ministry with children really molded my life at a young age." I've prayed for days for some peace in this whole thing, and that sentence brought it. I know that the Lord was moving on that young lady as she wrote those words because they were EXACTLY what I needed to hear!

Okay, enough rambling...the dryer should be buzzing anytime (I feel like I spend more time with the dryer than I do my husband sometimes!!!)


2 Comments:

At 11:50 PM , Blogger Patti said...

Jill - I was in tears reading your post. I even called my mother and read it to her. I had a Papaw, too ..... however, he went home to be with the Lord back in 1982. As you described your Papaw, it was like you were taking the words right out of my mouth. He was just like yours- totally committed to the Lord. He'd sit in his chair with his Bible, completely tuned out to all the noise and commotion around him - if you went through the room he'd stop ya and say, "Patti, are you saved? Yes, Papaw I am saved. Ok, that's good, just wanted to be sure" .... We'd spent our summers with them down in Western Kentucky. Whenever we spoke about friends from up in New York .. he's say, "Are they saved?". Jill - I thought my Papaw was the only one! I can feel exactly what you are feeling. I could go on and on comparing story with you! hanks for posting. I think I recently posted a tidbit about my Papaw on my blog ..and a photo, too. Hugs - Pep

 
At 11:51 PM , Blogger Patti said...

PS ...I'll keep your Papaw in my prayers. Hope his hospital is short.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home