Lovin' my kids!

My life as head of the Looney Bin!

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Time or five?

I have lived in east TN all of my life....and I have the accent to prove it. I been on the phone with people in other states who have asked me to call back and talk to someone else because they can't understand me. The guy at the NYC subway pretty much told me the same thing. As I was talking to him, he was looking at me with a sort of blank look on his face. I finally said, "I'm from east TN"...he said, "I would have never guessed". My husband, however, did not grow up in east TN. He is originally from Little Rock, but his parents relocated to Memphis. The west TN/Arkansas accent isn't like mine. It's different; it doesn't sound so "hickish". Anyway, there's a lady at the baseball field who's been umpiring games since I played on the Sandpippers (actually, we were the Sandpipers but they misspelled our name on our uniforms. It was a bad omen.) When a child gets a hit, she allows so much to happen and then she yells, "TIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIME" (she's obviously a native, like me). That means, no more runs, etc. Also, in this league, they have a five run per inning rule. So, when a team racks up five runs, she yells, "that's fiiiiive". Can you believe my dear husband often has a hard time distinguishing?

Here's a cute pic of Levi at the ballpark last night. The lady sitting next to us gave him a Capri Sun drink. Levi can't handle that much sugar all at once (a really nasty diaper blow-out at the ballpark would NOT be fun!), so we put it in a water bottle and watered it down.

3 Comments:

At 11:53 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lol Jill!!!! Thaht is so funny!! We have a neighbor here that is born and raised in Tennessee and his accent is delicious! I love the yes Ma'am, no ma'am, etc of his twang.

Our A is the same way as Levi...too much sugar and ugh oh! Lol.

 
At 11:47 AM , Blogger Patti said...

Jill - I am sure I'd love, love, love your accent! My family is from Kentucky . . it's second nature to me.

 
At 7:43 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is so funny! The first time I spoke with you on the phone I thought,"well she is definately from Tennessee! LOL

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home